
I decided to take Aubrey to see "Peter Pan" the new version straight from London, complete with real flying and simulation, etc, etc here in Atlanta. I was soooo excited, she was sooo excited and our friends the Young's all went with us for a great night of theatre/live entertainment. Except that about 15 minutes into the show, Captain Hook "slit the throat" of one of his pirates and that was it for Aubrey. She panicked. Refused to watch the rest of the show until intermission when I decided to take her to the lobby and she and I watched the rest on the big screen TV. :(
My big girl, who has seen at least a dozen live theatre performances, was so distraught by this particular show......it was sad but what can you do?? We made the most of it, talked about it, and enjoyed it from the comfort of the lobby TV which made it alot less scary. As I watched the show, thinking about it from a 6 yr old's point of view, I realized Peter Pan isn't quite as happy/innocent/fun as I remember it to be!! It's actually quite a violent little story! But all was well. We walked away from it realizing that sometimes it's ok to be scared and most important is that we were together. She's ready for her next show already so I'm guessing it didn't do too much damage. :)
I love that my big girl shares my love of theatre and isn't afraid to share her fears and cuddle up with her mom still. After all, how much longer do I have for that to happen????
No comments:
Post a Comment